Stop Putting Covid-19 Patients Into Nursing Homes

Ok here’s the problem. When 42% of Covid-19 deaths are occurring where 0.6% of the US population lives, it does not make sense to quarantine the other 99.4% of the population. It makes more sense to protect this most vulnerable group, and NOT expose this group to Covid-19.

Some states, like Minnesota, over 80% of deaths are in nursing homes. We already know that about 50% of Covid-19 deaths are people over 80 years old, and people with multiple co-morbidities. It does NOT make sense to quarantine young healthy people, who, incidentally, are NOT EVEN ALLOWED to visit nursing homes.

How about stop the current practice of combining covid-19 and non-covid patients in nursing home facilities?

Thankfully, Louisiana Rep. Steve Scalise has sent letters to five Governors (all Democrats) asking for detailed information about their COVID-19 policies for nursing homes.

“The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has disproportionately affected the elderly, especially those living in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities,” the U.S. representatives wrote in the introduction to each letter. “We write seeking information, at a granular level, about the science and information used to inform your decision to mandate nursing homes and long-term care facilities admit untested and contagious COVID-19 patients from hospitals.”

The letters, dated June 15, were sent to Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York, Gov. Phil Murphy of New Jersey, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan, Gov. Gavin Newsom of California, and Gov. Tom Wolf of Pennsylvania.

In each one, Scalise and his fellow Republican lawmakers asserted that the governors’ response to COVID-19 “likely contributed to the thousands of elderly deaths” in their respective states.

SOURCES:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2020/05/26/nursing-homes-assisted-living-facilities-0-6-of-the-u-s-population-43-of-u-s-covid-19-deaths/#5079a61874cd

https://skillednursingnews.com/2020/06/house-hammers-governors-over-nursing-home-admission-orders-amid-covid-19-pandemic/